Barbara Writes

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I Met Billy Dee!

On Saturday, Aug. 11, 2007, I had the distinct honor to not only hang out with 19 FANTABULOUS authors (several I knew), but I also got an opportunity to network with a few book clubs, meet the owners of Da Book Joint bookstore and got to get my picture taken with Billy Dee Williams - who still looks good! I was very pleased to see bruthaman owned a very smooth and laid back demeanor! And when he gave me his autograph, he signed it: Lando Calrisson - the character he played in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi of the Star Wars series! Once I get a copy of the picture (taken by photographer extrodinaire Dot Ward), I'ma have to post it here, cause I was all teeth!! LOL!

As for the event where I met him, Levy Distibution hosted a two state tour to Wal-Mart with 19 black authors ranging from varied genres which included a reception in a Chicago suburb! The tour, which is a first and according to Pam Nelson (sistah extrodinaire), not the last, began in Indiana and ended in Illionois! And though for reasons I don't understand and won't go into here, I wasn't able to participate, but I was able to attend the public reception. And when I walked into the reception, my fellow authors made me feel warm and welcomed (thank you all, especially you Lisa! I love ya, girl). And the book clubs and several readers recognized my name and my work!

By nights end, I left that reception on cloud nine!! Capped off by meeting Billy Dee - who I had to tell I just purchased Mahogany on DVD! He was like, "Really? that's a classic, you know? " All I could do was grin and nod my head!! Talk about floored!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home