Barbara Writes

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

A little bit of this, a little bit of that!

Yall know I'm bad!! I'd love to write here everyday, but I'm just not that regimented. I stopped recording and watching soaps because I simply found that I did not want to be tied to an event like that everyday. And I'm truly impressed with the folks who tend to write and have something quite intelligent to say - and do so on a daily basis!

But, I did put it in my head to watch two reality shows this past season! The first one was Tough Love - featuring a house full of women being taught how to find and engage in possible meaningful relationships with men. The things the matchmaker, Steven Ward, said to the women were things as women we should know. But ....

And then the second show was (drum roll please!) - G's to Gents! Now, this was my show cause I know I've a little bit of ghetto in me and the G's or Gangsters were there to be transformed. Fonzworth Bentley (Derek Watkins), the one to assist these "G's" in their transformation, was cute and likable with wayy too much common sense that at times I knew he was blowing the "G's" minds! But what I loved about both of these shows was the resounding theme of change! And I'm one of those folks that wholeheartedly embrace change as long as it leads to a positive outcome! Change for change sake doesn't make sense to me.

Now, how about my recent foray into the world of unemployment? I have worked since I was 13 years old - my first job had been through CEDA and from that point on I've always worked; worked in High School, worked during College (McDonald's, pizza deliverer for Iva's, clerical work), and even worked temp! So, I was never afraid to work. But as I crept past my 40's, I came to many realizations and one of them was any work I do MUST be emotionally and psychologically satisfying, allowing me to feel as if I was making a real difference in someones life - be apart of a solution. So, when I got sick and was off work, I was stunned, hurt and then relieved to have been "administratively separated." Stunned, for all of my medical documentation was in order & the registered letter informing me of my status came out of nowhere (I swear I hadn't a clue); hurt, because I gave 190% of myself - worked hard (not afraid of hard work) and no one cared/dared to say: "Are you okay?" "What do you need?"; and, relieved because while sick I was forced to do introspection as to why I hadn't fought to walk in my destiny and then began my walk! God is truly good!

On to something completely different. I attended two conferences this summer: BEA (Book Expo America) and RWA (Romance Writers of America). BEA, which is one of my favorites, was made doable by my great friend and mentor, Rochelle Alers, who insisted I stay as her guest which made my trip financially feasible. While there, I got an opportunity to pitch a story idea for a series and it was well received. I've been working on it ever since. And I also met a potential literary agent - a real nice woman who asked to see my work.

Then I went to RWA in DC. I'm a big fan of DC and no I didn't see President Obama! Wish I had - I'da been like: know anyone need a good executive assistant?! LOL! Anyway, I was the volunteer extraordinaire and spent a lot of time networking and making some new friends: Constance and Celeste - great women. The highlight was the Harlequin Party! Those folks know how to put on a PARTY!!! I hadn't danced like that in moons! Needless to say, my legs was a little tight the next day (LOL!) - but I had a ball! Both of these events are like staples to me in that I get to see what the industry is doing and how. God willing, next year I'll be able to add Romantic Times Conference to this short list.

And lastly, how about a little bit of ... politics! I was so proud to know that Dr. Tais Crawford-Thomas' husband was on CNN's Black in America 2! Tais, who along with me, is an adult literacy instructor for the Delta Literacy Project, is such a wonderful woman! And I got a chance to meet her hubby (Dr. Pete) and their beautiful daughters a few months back and found him to be just like her. So needless to say I was super impressed and hollering at the screen when Dr. Pete got to talking about Black men and healthcare!! Aside from my glee and obvious pride, I have found that the series presented by CNN's Soledad O'Brien has been quite enlightening, regardless of seeing some things that were disturbing (the young brother released from prison only to commit a really dumb crime and was heading back to prison) to having a belief supported: black folks are way too disproportionally effected by every DAYUM thing in America! A change has got to come! And weren't you impressed with Professor Roland Fryer from Harvard? He was in the first series and I was too taken - the man was on point and super smart! You must check out some of his work!

Well, that's my this and that for today! Who knows when I'll write again! And of course look out for the re-release of my second book, An Unfinished Love Affair! Hits the stores Aug. 4 & will be in Walgreens, Target, Borders, B&N, and Amazon.com

Caio Bella!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home